Monday, May 31, 2010



29. Graduation

Another milestone... I recently wondered in these pages how I could be old enough to have an 80 year-old mother. Now I am wondering how can it be that my daughter has a master's degree? Wasn't it only a few years ago, not decades, that I earned my graduate degree?

Bill and I were recently in Washington, DC for the graduation celebration at George Washington University. Emily's studies are in Museum Education from the Graduate School of Education and Human Development. We were also there 3 years ago when she received her bachelor's degree and I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to attend 2 ceremonies at that university. They do it up right!

This year was especially impressive because Michelle Obama was the commencement speaker. There were at least 25,000 of us on the National Mall straining for a glimpse, but I only managed to see her on the nearby jumbotron. All the same it was an exciting occasion, particularly for those of us who live in the boonies of Maine.



With a few exceptions Emily has not had a lot of family around for the big events in her life. We are a small family, only the 3 of us, with her paternal grandparents deceased, her maternal grandparents in Texas, and a half-sister, Bettina, currently in D.C. But at this celebration we didn't feel small- there were 5 of us cheering her on, screaming when her name was called (despite the prohibition against that), and meeting her professors and classmates. I liked that feeling of family... Bettina and her husband Ilia, boyfriend Jeff... more than just Bill and me, talking, going to the symphony, arguing about politics, eating meals together and supporting our dear Emily.

Congratulations, Emily Kathleen Myers... I am so, so proud of you and love you from the very bottom of my heart. You continue to fill my own life's journey with a deep meaning that otherwise would not be possible, and for that I am forever grateful.






No comments: